Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fun Home Reflection Blog

While reading Fun Home, the part which seemed the most strange to me was the fact that Bruce and Helen had stayed together, in spite of Bruce's multiple affairs and lack of attraction toward Helen.
This reminds me a lot of the stereotypical girl-falls-in-love-with-gay-man relationship. It isn't portrayed incredibly often, but there seems to often be a girl in romantic comedies who is constantly falling for gay men, and complaining about it. While I will not assume that this sort of relationship is prevalent, it did make me think about Bruce and Helen's relationship. One would think that, if two people have no feelings for one another, they would not get married in the first place.
This brought me to the idea that, perhaps, Helen loved Bruce, and he loved her, but strictly in a platonic sense (at least on Bruce's part). I cannot deny that Bruce's letters to Helen are passionate. Looking into them, it seems it could go one of two ways: One, Bruce was writing in a way that he would rather be intended for another man, or two, he truly loved Helen. Given that I would rather look at this from an optimistic standpoint, I would like to support the latter (without ignoring the former).
One excerpt of Bruce's letters that we see, on page 63, says, "Do you know I love you. That made me feel so good I'll say it again. I love you I love you I love you, you crazy wonderful girl. I know what I need a drink. This would be our night to sit and drink and look at each other." Even if Bruce feels no sexual attraction toward Helen, there must have been some sort of emotion spurring this. It would be pointless for him to have written that letter otherwise; it would have been easier not to write anything of the sort in the first place.
From Helen's standpoint, it does not seem that she would stay with a man if she didn't love him. As Alison describes her in comparison to Isabel Archer, a character from Henry James' A Portrait of a Lady, she points out that, "Too good for her own good, Isabel remains with Gilbert." While it could be argued that this simply shows that Helen does not want to make a fuss, she clearly rebuts those arguments in her actions toward Bruce. She often argues with Bruce, attempting to force him to act differently and respect her and their children. She has also shown her affection for Bruce. Alison says that she has only seen her parents engage in two acts of intimacy: a kiss, and her mother's hand on her father's back. It appears that Helen, at least, loved Bruce, in spite of his actions.
Each of these situations could be seen as their opposites, a giant facade existing only to make it seem as if they love each other, but it seems illogical for that to be the case. It would have been much easier, if they had not loved each other, to never create a relationship in the first place.

10 comments:

  1. The relationship between Bruce and Helen interested me also. My opinion is that in the beginning they felt great affection for each other, which could be confused for love. A recurring question I had throughout the book was why Helen stayed with Bruce for all those years, especially since the time the book is set in, the 70s, was known for the spike in divorce rates. I can only conclude that it was because of the kids. But, this might not make sense since Helen never seemed to be a particularly affectionate mother; she always seemed kind of distant. I really pity both of them, but particularly Helen. I really wish she could have gotten out of her situation and had a more rewarding life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your conclusion that there must have been a love between the parents. However I think we can open up the possibilities for their relationship even more. It is very possible that Bruce was not just platonically in love with Helen, but also sexually as well. We know, being students of Hamline and this particular FYSEM, that there are many different sexual identities. I think it very possible that Bruce truly loved Helen in every way when they were married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Bechdel's reference to Oscar Wilde's play, "The Ideal Husband," might explain their dynamic a little more. I feel like they continued their relationship because it looked good from the outside looking in. Whether or not they were really in love can be debated endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only Alison Bechdel's mother had written a response to Fun Home. However I have found an article of interest and a great quote.

    "At one point after Fun Home came out, she sent me a review from a local newspaper. It cited the William Faulkner quote, "The writer's only responsibility is to his art. … If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' is worth any number of old ladies." Then the reviewer went on to say, "Rarely are the old ladies asked how they felt about it." Mom liked that—that someone was considering her side of the story.

    I do feel that I robbed my mother in writing this book. I thought I had her tacit permission to tell the story, but in fact I never asked for it, and she never gave it to me. Now I know that no matter how responsible you try to be in writing about another person, there's something inherently hostile in the act. You're violating their subjectivity. I thought I could write about my family without hurting anyone, but I was wrong. I probably will do it again. And that's just an uncomfortable fact about myself that I have to live with" -Alison Bechdel

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/memoir_week/2007/03/what_the_little_old_ladies_feel.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly think that she really loved Bruce, and in love people say, " I love you for who you are, and I accept you for who are you, " and clearly she showed this towards Bruce.

    I do wish that Helen would write maybe a book or a response to this story, but I'm sure she is RIP by now. But I would of loved to hear what she had to say, besides what Alison demostrated in the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. couldnt agree more. i dont know ( in helens case) how you could still be with someone when you know that they dont like you or have lost that attraction to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for opening up this topic (and I appreciated Peter's contribution especially) - trying to figure out "the truth" in a memoir is always a tricky business. One thing I appreciate about this memoir is that it takes the trickiness of writing down the truth head-on. In her acknowledgments, Bechdel writes: "Thanks to Helen, Christian, and John Bechdel for not trying to stop me from writing this book." Knowing that your life will be analyzed by readers you don't know has got to be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TATY SAID: I just wanted to say I liked Peter’s addition to Alison’s feelings on writing about her mother. I think that I agree with Jessica in the fact that we can not really judge whether or not he was actually in love with her. Like Alison had said in Peter’s quote she never had her mother’s point of view, so we probably won’t know the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish the relationship between Helen and Bruce had been explored more I think it would have helped with Alison's growth throughout the story

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison's mother was not a huge part of the story because it wasn't about her. The story was meant for Bruce.

    ReplyDelete