Monday, October 24, 2011

In the Night Garden and Omir the Wizard

The novel In the Night Garden, by Catherine Valente, there are many different characters. The reader is allowed to understand almost all of the characters very deeply and intricately because of Valente's descriptive language and the time she takes to use said language to describe each character. This being said, some characters can be known more than others, and some characters can be found more interesting. The character that I found the most interesting was Omir the Wizard. Omir is a very manipulative and possibly evil character. However, Valente gives him a relatable and interesting past that makes the reader not only more interested in his character, but also more empathetic towards him.
The chapter on Omir's childhood is entitled "The Tale of the Boy Who Found Death". It is quite the disturbing chapter. Valente describes Omir's illness quite brutally, and in less flowery fashion than the reader is used to from her previous descriptions. When describing the Wizard's condition, she writes; "From the time I was born, my skin peeled and paled, sloughing off as though I could not wait to be out of it..." I find this hard to imagine, and when I do, I become grossed out. Regardless, Omir the child suffers with this terrible illness, and his mother ties him to the wall because of it. Through this suffering, Omir believes he has become to know exactly who and what death is. As a child, he will take every metaphor about death that his parents say literally and he will subsequently have outlandish perceptions of death. Omir believes death is a man, that has always been close to him. Because he believes death, the man, has always been near him, he believes that death should have taken him. When he does not die, he thinks that death owes him. This is the beginning of Omir's "power trip" so to say. It is the beginning of his power trip because he feels he is owed something and this therefore gives him power over death. When he travels to find death and instead becomes a "doulios" for another collared wizard, his power trip grows. This is because he is learning to manipulate nature and subsequently feel power over it. Through these power trips, Omir's evil grows. Yes, he did come from a very humble and ill background. However, the power he finds at the end of his illness and through his training causes him to become evil. He is evil because he manipulates people, and physically maims and harms them. He starts small, by simply learning to help people. However, throughout the novel the reader learns of more and more crimes he comits and lies that he tells.

9 comments:

  1. You call Omir the Wizard evil. I'm not sure I agree because I think that people are far too complicated and multi-faceted to divide into "evil" and "not-evil". He, like many people, has serious emotional and psychiatric issues, but I would avoid calling him evil. That term is only appropriate in the most extreme of cases if ever in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go even further and add the very idea of evil does not exist within people. Ask yourself, " Does anyone do evil for evil's sake? Hitler wanted to hasten the idea of natural selection. The Dark Knight's Joker acts for the sake of chaos. And people afflicted with mental illnesses cannot be held fully responsible for their actions. I also think it important to note the description of Omir is extremely flowery. A flowery description doesn't have to relate to nature. Flowery language is thought to use too many adjectives, adverbs, and descriptions; it breaks the attention of the story because of the language. Personally I love purple prose when done correctly (Nabokov, Joyce, Fitzgerald, Joyce) but Valente never reaches their skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the chapter about Death more intriguing than disturbing. I just really enjoyed the descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TATY SAID: When I read about Omir when he was the wizard I leaned towards disliking his character completely. Then I read about his illness and I think that whole chapter reduced the hate I had for him. I enjoyed the whole story about how he “met death”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still hated the wizard even after his background story because he chose to screw up everyone's life. He could have done something good with his knowledge and kept death at bay instead of taking his place and killing things mercilessly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wizard was a coward in my opinion. hated the fact that he screwed everyones life up and sam said it best when she said "he could of done something good with his knowledge."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even with his relatable past I really didn't like the wizard. Even with his past he choice a path that led him to being he manipulative person he is when he could've picked a different path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like the wizard was the perfect evil for the story. He was very old and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I like is that because Valente has given us his back story, we have some understanding for the choices he has made, but because we also care about the characters that he manipulates, tortures, and destroys, we can still evaluate these as bad, very, very, very bad choices. It's just more interesting to know some of the evolution of his character, rather than have a two-dimensional evil wizard.

    ReplyDelete