Monday, October 3, 2011

Fun Home.

After reading the graphic novel, Fun Home, I had a lot to think about. Like for an example, I didn't think that her father was trying to use Alison has his doll because he always wanted to be a girl, dress, or act like one. But on the other hand, Alison, wanted to dress and " act " like a guy instead. This discussion in class, opened my eyes and well, of course, made me think further into details and understood the novel more, than I already had.

After reading the review of the graphic novel, this also helped me understand the novel more because of how Alison would compare her father to other characters, or herself as another person. This made me think that, maybe this novel was kind of made up, like it is a white lie.

An experience I had, was closely related to what Alison has gone through. I'm sharing this story for further critical thinking for the novel, Fun Home, but the names would be change due to identity.

When I was in second grade, I had a best friend name Stacy. Stacy and I would do everything together. Such as, go to the movies, shopping, play at recess, talk about boys, just everything. I love Stacy, as if we were sisters because I have never shared so many thoughts with someone before, and endless hours of talking with her over the phone about family issues, and such on. She loved me too, I just knew it because she has told me many times.

But then one day changed everything. One school day as recess was ending, she took my hand and told me to come with her, and as best friends we were, I went with her. I did not even stop and think. She took me to the furthest end point of the playground and said to me, " Youa, you know that I really love you. To the point of love. I know you don't know everything about me but I have a huge secret I want to share with you. " I was so alarmed, I wanted to know, thinking about stupid things like she is having a crush on some boy, something like that, but then she said, " Youa, I like girls. " I laughed and said, " You're such a bad liar. You're just messing around with me. " And Stacy said, " I'm not. I like you Youa, that was why I wanted to always be there for you. I want us to date, because clearly, I know I can make you happy. " And as a second grader, I had no idea what she was talking about, and I told her I did not like her the way she likes girls because I like boys, and she took off.

Stacy never spoke to me again. She acted as if I dropped off the end of the earth and died. I called her, she didn't answer, she stopped coming to school. I felt as if I killed our friendship. I did not know what to do, or what to say, all I knew was, I wanted my best friend back, and that was it.

As I grew up, I never stopped thinking about that day because I felt as if I just crushed her dreams and hope. I felt like, I should of said something more serious, or I should of never laughed. I felt like I was a fool, but then again, I was only in second grade, and I was only just a kid.

Years later, I met Stacy again, I did not notice her at all. She was dressed like a guy, spoke like a guy, walked like a guy, had hair like a guy, and acted like a guy. But then it was a really quick conversation because like a guy would act, she pretended like she did not know me when other girls walked by.

Till this day, I felt as if when she saw me again, all those memories back then quickly rushed back and it must of caused her some sort of pain, that was why she acted like that.

In my opinion, I think Stacy acted like Alison, and Alison's father. Not afraid to come out of the closet, but then she was mean, dead, like Alison's father.

11 comments:

  1. Youa, I found your post very interesting. I was surprised you had that experience so young; I wouldn't have expected Stacy to realize that she likes girls that young. Also, what happened is not at all your fault; you couldn't have been expected to react in any other way.

    I can see how the meanness would apply to Alison's father, but I don't see that in Alison herself. I think that makes a lot of sense explaining her father's actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how open you were about everything and it made your post very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the difference between your friend "Stacy" and Alison's father is simple; Stacy knew the way she was and she wasn't going to let anybody judge her for it or change her ways for anyone. Good story, Youa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found your post very interesting. Although I'm sorry your friendship ended the way it did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youa, I really liked that your post added personal insight into the novel. I think that this opens up a big discussion about human sexuality, which is what a lot of "Fun Home" is about. I think that both "Fun Home" and your story demonstrate how alike and yet different humans really can be. I think that Stacy, Bruce, and Alison are all breaking the boundaries our brains have on human sexuality. One realized her preferences at an uncommonly young age, one chose to hide his sexuality his entire life, and one is completely open to the entire world about most of her life experiences in this aspect.
    I think that with this in mind, it would be interesting for you to open up a discussion with Stacy about her life. It would be really cool to hear how her life has gone since her 2nd grade realization.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TATY SAYS:

    Wow, I love how open you are in this post. I agree with everyone else and enjoyed reading about your experiences. I don’t think your reaction was your fault, you were young and not many young children know how to handle that situation in a good way. I think your friend was very brave and obviously knew who she was and wasn’t afraid to show it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much appreciate your honesty and trust in us. I believe that your personal story allows us to view a similar situation from Fun Home through a new perspective, yours. Having somebody share a past experience is always beneficial for others in that it will open new doors of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the honesty of your post, much like Bechdel's Fun Home. The happenings we experience as a child can have a monumental influence. I wonder if I would have acted in difference if I had known that information. It would be terrifying to raise a child and constantly be aware of "trivial" experiences you allow your child to experience that could alter your child's life in such an extreme way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for opening up. that took a lot of courage to do.. your post makes so much sense and i think all of us can look back on situations and wish we could of done something different.. but if we went back and changed that.. where would we be today? our past has lead us to here, where we are now. great post. i really liked how you incorporated a life experience to the novel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Youa,
    What I'm impressed by is that experience didn't close you down to being friends with LGBT people and to being involved in your high school's GSA. I think a lot of us wouldn't have been mature enough to remain so open. My hat's off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a close story you shared with us and I am glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete