Monday, October 17, 2011

Short story reflection

When reflecting on the short stories and comparing it to Fun Home and Persepolis, I found there are big differences between the texts. Starting with Fun Home and how its about Alison s life, what she encounters throughout her life, and how she overcomes and deals with those encounters. In addition, Persepolis is also about Margi's life story and the assortment of things that she encounters during her life. Both of these novels are about individuals different encounters in their own life experiences. Unlike those two novels the tales from arabian nights was about an assortment of stories. Not only was it about different stories, all the stories connected in a way and  portrayed a message or lesson that contributed to the previous stories. I really enjoyed reading the Tales of Arabian Nights of its story change and how it connected most of them to each other while given a life lesson or point across there point across. This kept me intrigued because you had to pay close attention to not only understand the stories but to keep track or the wisdom and lessons being told. You have to pay close attention because the lesson or wisdom that you read might be from another previous story. Fun Home and Persepolis are two similar novels because of how they are about ones self encounters in there life. On the other hand the Tales of Arabian Nights is multiple stories that are combined and woven together to get a better understanding of each of the stories.  

8 comments:

  1. I agree, Arabian Nights was nothing like Persepolis or Fun Home. It was a different kind of story telling. Also, it was fiction where the other two stories were not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it easier to get lost (as in forgetting about the outside world) in reading Arabian Nights because it was fiction, whereas Fun Home and Persepolis were so straightforward that I had trouble becoming so immersed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you as well. Arabian Nights was a great story to read that kept me interested. However, I think reading Fun Home and Persepolis was a good experience because it was a new type of novel to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very difficult for me to find a book I can lose myself in and I have yet to do so this year. But once I do Emily Dickinson's quote comes to mind, " There is no frigate like a book"

    ReplyDelete
  5. TATY SAID: I do not think I liked one style more than another. Each of them had something unique about them that I had not encountered before. I liked the multiple stories in Arabian Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also enjoyed reading Arabian Nights because it was a different type of story than I was use to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading Arabian Nights. It was more interesting to me than Fun Home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a genre of writing called "creative non-fiction," which I think describes Fun Home and Persepolis well: they are creatively reconstructing the events of their lives. I wonder if there's such a thing as a true non-fiction story.

    ReplyDelete