Saturday, October 29, 2011

In The Night Garden

I wouldn't say that In The Night Garden was a horrible book just because I didn't like it. There's no way that I can say it was badly written and it was a waste of my time to read because it was complete opposite. It was nicely written and it wasn't a complete waste of my time to read. It was hard for me to get through mainly because of the flowery figurative language. There were so many metaphors and smilies that I wasn't use to hearing that it took me while to get use to having to read them and stop to think about what Vilante meant by it. The way the stories intertwined together didn't make sense until someone pointed out during one of our many discussions that maybe the girl was telling stories about royalty in order to teach the prince something. When that point was made everything just sort of clicked for me and I somewhat began to like the book as a whole. At first I didn't like it because it was based off of Arabian Nights but I couldn't see any connections and once that connection was made I began to like it.

7 comments:

  1. It is very understandable that you didn't enjoy the book, because it can be written very excessively. However, its nice to see that you enjoyed it more towards the end. How did you feel about the story lines, once they clicked for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. TATY SAID: I know how you feel about the confusion of them being all tangled together but I am glad our discussions cleared some of it up for you so you could enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also glad that you ended up enjoying the book, at least somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just glad you stuck with it the whole way through. I wouldn't have if I didn't like it. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggled in certain parts of the book, so I am glad we have discussions on the reading every day. The discussions really help me understand the text that I read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I read the novel, I too was put off at the beginning by the use of metaphors. But now, after having read it three times, I've grown to appreciate them. Now, rather than thinking of the prose as flowery or purple, I experience it as rich and evocative.

    ReplyDelete