Monday, December 5, 2011

Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas is definitely a book that either you love or you hate. There is really no in between with this novel. It’s a sort of acquired taste. In my own personal opinion I didn’t like the book. Don’t get me wrong I am in no way saying that the book was horribly written. Even though I didn’t like the book I can appreciate how well it was written. I liked and didn’t like the way it was written.

The plot line and the way there are multiple stories that span almost half a century is sort of a deal breaker for me. It reminded me a lot of In the Night Garden and how there were different stories. It was hard for me to keep track of the different stories and try to figure out ways that each story was connected to another. The same way I didn’t like In the Night Garden for the multiple stories I didn’t like Cloud Atlas for the same reason. As much as I didn’t like the book I can’t say that it was a bad book it just wasn’t my cup of tea in a sense.

Before the in class discussion it was hard for me to see the connections between the different stories but after hearing people's examples it makes a little bit more sense to me. For example the idea of raising and falling throughout the story never really stuck out to me until someone mentioned it during a discussion.


What do you think the purpose of the different stories was?

8 comments:

  1. I think the distinction between "liking" and appreciating or respecting is a valid distinction to understand and am glad you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not always like something but you can respect their decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt like how the story line kept bouncing backing forth. i didnt understand the time line of when everything was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely see why you wouldn't like the book. I think it was a book that made you work really hard to read, understand, and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought it was a hassle to get invested in six different stories and then unite them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of a comment to make other than to agree with the other comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This morning I'm feeling a bit discouraged reading the comments. Many good things require work and effort. I know that I often enjoy a book I can just escape into and not have to think about much. But, for me, the best fiction also makes me think, and the things I'm most proud of accomplishing are the things that I had to invest my energy into to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TATY SAYS: I really enjoyed the book but I think as I said in class that I would have enjoyed it more if I would have spread it out over a longer time.

    ReplyDelete