Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Queer Experience

I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I heard the title of the course. I wasn’t sure how much I would learn from the class or how much I would gain from the class. I can say that I gained a lot more than a thought I would.

The different texts, especially the ones that centered around LBGT and gender equality, taught me how to be more open minded to different lifestyles. I like to think that I was already pretty open minded about things but this course helped me to become even more open minded.

One course material that really helped me was “Love Might Be Too Strong a Word”. It helped me because I had never really thought about the pronouns we use to describe gender. I was always one of those people that if I didn’t know if something was feminine or masculine I just called it “it” without a second thought about how the word “it” could be hurtful, especially when describing someone. I know see that people can’t always be so easily classified like I was taught in elementary school.

Telling the Story Queer means more to me that I thought it would. To me it describes not just the material taught in class but also the people that took the class. Queer for means something that’s different or can’t be easily labeled and that’s the people in the class for me. No one person in that class can be judged on how they look on the outside. From Piper Passages to the last actual day of class my first impressions of everyone changed drastically.

Above anything else the class taught me not to prejudge anyone or try to place a label on them based off the first impression they give off.

2 comments:

  1. Love Might be Too Strong a Word was indeed a great text

    ReplyDelete
  2. TATY SAYS: I really enjoyed that text as well.

    ReplyDelete