Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cloud Atlas

One thing that really intrigued me about this novel is the way the context in which the book was written. I made many comparisons with this book and the books we read in the past. The books that i thought were similar to the Cloud Atlas were, In The Night Garden and Meanwhile. I thought In The Night Garden had the closest comparison to the Cloud Atlas with how the book jumped from story to story. Even though Cloud Atlas's story line was more like a pyramid, I made my connection based on the jumping back and forth to different stories. When comparing Cloud Atlas to Meanwhile, I saw their connection in how unique the concept of the two books where. With Meanwhile being unique in the way that you can choose your own story and destiny in the book. In Cloud Atlas being unique in the way that I have never read a book with a "pyramid" shaped timeline.

However, even though I found Cloud Atlas to be creative and unique I still did no enjoy the read because of the jumping of stories. I found myself having to go back and re-read what I had just previously read a lot.

I did however enjoy the section called Adam Edwing's arch because of how fact that the world was bare and just sitting there untouched. It made me think and wish I could of been around in that time period. imagine being one of the only ones around. that thought fascinates me, being able to live and truly do what you believe in or just want to do. I would really enjoy that

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you, there are a lot of similarities between the novels. I really enjoy finding new similarities every time I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see the connections between the two books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have also loved to live in such a world; imagine sailing in the ocean thinking you would reach the end of the earth

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that reminds me of sinbad, where they actually DO find the end of the earth and sail off of it into some vortex like thing, but still. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your connections, and I would also love to live in that world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job. I agree with your comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As others have said, you've nicely called our attention to the common theme of our course: telling stories in unconventional ways. I know that reading in new ways can be challenging, but as I've said in earlier posts, most everything worth doing is challenging. (Except breathing and the like, that's definitely worth doing, and, if things are well, not too challenging.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. TATY SAYS: I liked the challenge of making connections between the stories. I do think it would be amazing to live in a world that was bare.

    ReplyDelete