Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Final Thoughts

In taking the class, Telling the Story Queer I have learned a great deal. I think our final discussion on our readings wrapped up my thoughts about the class. There are many definitions on what queer literature is. There is the definition of touching on the subject of the queer community and what it entails. Then there is the literal “queer” aspects of the literature, meaning odd or unusual. All of our texts fit into the definition that we drew up.

We have read some of the oddest materials I have read ever. I believe that the queerest story that we read was Love Might Be Too Strong A Word. It had both aspects of the queer literature definition. It definitely had the queer community aspects with Mab and yrs tendency to sleep with members of the same social class. Then you have the language and the way it is written that is queer as well. I think this story has set the bar high for the queerest text.

My thinking has changed a lot from the beginning of this class. My definition of what queer is changed to a more broadened one. When I started the class I had thought that it was just going to concentrate on the LGBTQ community. Yet upon finishing the class I know that it has a bigger definition than just concentrating on that one aspect. I loved being able to learn from a wide variety of texts that I do not believe that I would have come across in my spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment