Friday, December 9, 2011

Cloud Atlas

First, I'll just state my opinion of Cloud Atlas, which is that, although it was a good book, it initially felt a lot like reading the introduction to the first Harry Potter book over and over again. It took a while to get into.
While I would love to say that the topic I'm going to write about is entirely my idea, I could not do so without lying. I did some research on Cloud Atlas while we were reading it, and something I came across was that each story reflected upon "Nietzschean matters of truth and perspective, the will to power, what it means to be a slave or a master, and the different methods by which one might narrativize one’s life."
Rather than analyzing how this is true, because that would be plagiarism, I will instead discuss why I find this so fascinating.
Mainly, I find it incredibly important to be able to understand someone else's ideas in terms of our own, because they will otherwise never become applicable to our lives. Mitchell manages to take Nietzsche's ideas into his own hands to create a novel that illustrates the central idea of eternal return. This is also interesting to me because he used Nietzsche's ideas to prove another one of Nietzsche's ideas, which isn't often done. Generally, we use one (or multiple) person's (or people's) ideas to support someone else's ideas.
I also just found it interesting that Mitchell managed to do this in such an interesting way, because I feel that a lot of people would rather not read a novel that pushes these ideas, but he managed to do so without anyone realizing that he was, in fact, trying to express/explain Nietzsche.
I will conclude this by saying that I'm not nearly as well-versed in Nietzsche's ideas as I could be, so I apologize if any of what I said is completely wrong or off-base.

8 comments:

  1. Your first sentence deserves a standing ovation. I agree with you entirely. God that's tedious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen told me an interesting quote the other day regarding history (however Stephen you got the author and wording wrong, so by this rationalization I am going to steal it)

    “History never repeats itself, but it often rhymes"- Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone else find these ideas a bit intimidating? I've found that reading the link in that quote and Cloud Atlas that perhaps I've been viewing the world to plainly and innocently. But this talk of eternal recurrence has my head spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any time someone mentions harry potter they have my respect

    ReplyDelete
  5. i liked how you compared this reading to Harry Potter, i agree with your similarities between the two

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great to see you relate it to something that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re Jess: I'm glad your head is spinning. It can be uncomfortable, but it's a place of creativity and seeing things anew.

    I wonder if Mitchell is trying to express/explain Nietzsche so much as enter into a conversation with his ideas and invite the reader into that conversation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TATY SAYS: I like your reference to the fact that we use a person’s ideas to support other people’s ideas. I had never really thought about that fact.

    ReplyDelete