Sunday, September 18, 2011

Introducing Jessica!

My name is Jess, and I'm a member of our "Telling the Story Queer" FYSEM class. I decided to take this class for a number of reasons. For starters, the name really jumped at me. It seemed less mundane in comparison to many of the other courses offered here for FYSEMs. Secondly, while I may not be an incredibly unique person, I am definitely not a very normal person either. I also really enjoy getting to know new people, especially those with unique personalities. Finally, I love to read, and I love to read new and interesting books. Reading "queer" texts in a college class seems to me like it could be an interesting adventure.

I have loved to read for a long time. As a child, I was likely to be found reading under a tree in the back yard instead of in front of the television. I spent my summers at the library, reading as many books as possible. Overtime, my taste for books has developed into a love of science fiction and fantasy. Books I am in love with include, but are not limited to:

  • Harry Potter!
  • Slaughterhouse-5 (Actually, all Vonnegut books.)
  • Sookie Stackhouse Novels (TrueBlood)
  • Anything by Isaac Asimov
  • Lord of the Rings
Additionally, I have a few other passions. I love sports; specifically watching football and playing volleyball, basketball, and throwing in Track and Field. I am on Hamline's Track and Field Team. I love horror movies as well. Specifically, the movies "The Last Exorcism", "Paranormal Activity", "P2", and "Hide and Seek" make me pee myself in terror. Psychological thrillers are the best. My favorite things to do are sleep, read, write, and perform music. As for my music tastes, I can tolerate anything. However, if I am given the choice, I will listen to:
  • Pierce the Veil
  • Motionless in White
  • Pink Floyd
  • Black Veil Brides
  • These Hearts
  • Iron and Wine
  • D.R.U.G.S.
  • Chiodos
  • Four Year Strong
  • A Day to Remember
  • Asking Alexandria
  • and more
I really enjoy going to concerts and I have had the privilege of seeing almost all of my favorite bands in concert. I would do anything to see Pink Floyd back together again with its original members, including the late and great Syd Barrett. I also really love Christian Music. This is because my ultimate goal in life, in the career aspect, is to be a pastor.

I'm not sure if any of the information I have shared is relevant to our blog as a whole. However, I do know that it displays my personality, which will be intrinsic to the understanding of any analyses I will do of our "queer" texts.

What about you could make a difference in your analyses of different texts? What is your favorite musician?

12 comments:

  1. I could make a difference in the analysis of different texts just by reading more in general. I have the type of book that I like and I rarely go out of my comfort zone.

    My favorite bands include but are not limited to:
    Metric
    Of Montreal
    Tegan and Sara
    The Scene Aesthetic
    The Distillers
    The Hush Sound
    Modest Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really interested in a lot of different subjects, so I can analyze texts from various perspectives.
    Some of my favorite bands are Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Bon Iver, Wakey!Wakey!, Tenth Avenue North, Death Cab for Cutie, and The Postal Service, but I really like classical music the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at all these great bands to check out! I am excited to learn more from all of you and get a better sense of how your unique perspectives will inform our class discussions in many ways.
    Jess, I am impressed with your love of psychological thrillers. I've never been one who's able to make it through one of those movies without my hands in front of my eyes! Still, I am very compelled to watch them and see what makes people tick in extreme situations.
    Lauren, Justin Vernon of Bon Iver's from my hometown! I was in band with him. That's my little claim to vicarious fame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really only gone to one concert: The Backstreet Boys. In my defense I was 8.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't have a favorite artist since it varies so often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At my high school we were taught to analyze the text until it was pretty much dead, unless that's just what I got out of it, but I like to think symbolically and go deep into the text to find some over exaggerated meaning.

    My favorite artists include The Notorious B.I.G., Wiz Khalifa, Mac Miller, CYNE and of course Calvin Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm into all different sort of music, especially the ones that are OLD SCHOOL because to me, it's more realistic. I'm a big ol' sucker for old school music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to listen to rap music, so I can't relate to the bands you like. Honestly I haven't heard of most of them. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Post, Jess. Indeed, its nice to learn about student's passions, I usually only get to know the academic side of my students. Oh, and I share your love of science fiction and fantasy. If you want some additional recommendations, just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TATY SAID: I think my personality could make a big difference in the way I analyses different texts because like everyone else I have had different experiences that might make me look at something at a different angle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TATY ALSO SAID:
    My favorite bands:
    Matt White Band
    The Script
    The Spill Canvas
    Parachute
    Maroon 5

    ReplyDelete
  12. my favorite musicians are lil wayne and drake, gotta love the rap music

    ReplyDelete