Saturday, September 24, 2011

Introducing Taty

Hi my name is Tatyana Benson, but you can call me Taty. I am part of the Telling the Story Queer FYSEM. I chose this FYSEM for a few reasons. First, I picked it because of the relation to the LGBTQ community. Although I am part of the community I wanted to develop a deeper understanding of it through texts that relate to it. Second, I love exploring different types of literature and gaining a deeper understanding of it. Third, I think the weird queer can describe many different types of things and trying to define queer through literature drew my attention. I think that the FYSEM didn’t quite turn out the way I expected but that doesn’t mean I love it any less. I think that I’m going to learn a lot through what we talk about as a group. Plus I love the people that we have in the class!

I come from a semi-conservative family. As a kid I was not allowed to listen to any music other than Christian music until I was about ten years old. After that I was only allowed to listen to Radio Disney. If you do not know what Radio Disney is turn to 1440 AM on your radio one day and you will understand why this is funny. My parents tried to protect me and isolate my innocence as long as possible. Though they tried to keep me from certain types of music I started to explore as I got older. I started dipping into types of hip-hop and rock, artists such as:
· Any 101.3 artist
· Eminem
· Korn
· Green Day
· Fall Out Boy
· Panic Of The Disco

Those bands were my starting access to what I thought was “the real world”. Yeah I know I was a sheltered child. Over the years my music taste has grown a little bit, although I still love my old beginners music. I am not picky with my music at all I dip into almost anything and am open to listening to new stuff because I like to expand my music collection. My favorite bands/artists lately are either what my friends like to call “hopeless romantic” music. Also local rap artists that I have seen either at work or at local underground places. Some of my favorite bands/artists lately are:
· Matt White Band
· The Script
· Guante
· The Spill Canvas
· Zac HB
· Parachute
· John Mayer
· Maroon 5
· Adele

Just like some of my music choices I am complete hopeless romantic when it comes to my book choices as well. I love the stereotypical love stories and I know that I should somehow grow out of it but for some reason it never gets old. Other than that I am really random when it comes to my favorite books. I don’t really have a lot of them anymore because honestly I have not really read for fun lately. My favorite author though is Sarah Dessen and I love the Harry Potter series.

For watching movies my favorite movies mirror my personality. I love romantic awkward comedies that people cringe at like The Proposal, She’s Out of My League, Friends with Benefits and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I have been told by my friends that I mirror some of the guys in the movies which I am still not sure if I am okay with or not.

I used to watch a lot of television shows before I started working but now I just watch a lot of them on Netflex. Some of my favorites are Greys Anatomy, Glee and Bones.

So my tastes in music, television shows and movies have changed over the years drastically. How have your tastes changed over the years?

13 comments:

  1. I am also a hopeless romantic.
    I used to really like stupid comedies, but now I only like a select few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tastes have changed a lot over the years. I used to hate scary movies and now I love them. I also used to listen to rap a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My tastes haven't changed but are now of a lesser ignorance, in understanding what they themselves seek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My taste in music has changed drastically, though my taste in television and movies has not. I love cartoons. Literally. I would marry them if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good question--I would say that my music tastes have changed pretty drastically. Up until sophomore year in high school all I listened to were musicals. To this day I know all the words to about 20 different musicals. After that a few well-compiled mix tapes from friends got me into the indie scene, and I've had fun learning about new bands since then. Usually though, it's through a friend's recommendation.

    It's funny, though, I feel like a lot of the music I like is from my college years or the year or two after--I can see how someone's music tastes can become dated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's Out of My League is up one of my favorites. Stainer! Anyways I used to listen to all the crappy music that was huge in elementary school such as Aron Carter, Eminem and of course anything that was on the radio. Now I love all kinds of music, but I mostly stick to rap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would say my tastes haven't changed that much i like to think of myself as a big kid at heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it funny how your parents would try to censor what you could listen to as a kid. My parents kind of did the same thing; I wasn't allowed to watch Pinky and the Brain because it was too violent according to my mom. As for your music, I haven't heard of most of those bands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Maroon 5, especially the song she will be love on rainy days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like rap music, but in the past year or so i have really enjoyed house music

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't listen to Troy, house music is no good. The Script is a great band. Makes me sad sometimes though. I really think you should listen to the song Headlines by Drake. It's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too am really enjoying our class community and conversations.
    I don't watch much t.v. (my tv actually lives in the closet). When I used to watch more (before I was a Mom) I religiously watched Law & Order, The X-files, Northern Exposure, and everything by Joss Whedon,. I do watch some things on the internets: Project Runway, Glee, and the BBC update of Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we have similar tastes in music, i like eminem and i love comedy movies (shes out of my league and friends with benefits)

    ReplyDelete