Friday, September 23, 2011

Introducing Lauren!

Hello! My name is Lauren, and I am a member of the Telling the Story Queer FYSEM. I chose this FYSEM for a few reasons. First, I am fascinated by human sexuality, and the original course description mentioned reading books with LGBTQIA themes/characters. Second, I happen to be very, very weird, so queerness always draws my attention. Third, I love reading, especially books that are different than your usual run-of-the-mill stories.

I suppose it might be relevant to illustrate why I would call myself "weird." I grew up with two brothers, and, because of that, I have never really fit in with most girls. I'm incredibly introverted and shy, so I spent most of my childhood reading books. I hate almost all junk food. Even though I'm tiny and a girl, I somehow became the Master Carpenter in my school's theatre guild. I find math fascinating. I develop obsessions extremely quickly; if I find something I am interested in, I will usually know every bit of information I can find about that subject within a week. I like anagramming words and phrases. I have always ended up making friends with people who are as weird as I am, which is how I became a LARPer. If you're not sure what that means, watch the movie
Role Models. I also have a very strange and slightly obnoxious obsession with the artist Claude Monet.

Keeping with the tradition, some of my favorite bands/artists/composers are: Coldplay, Death Cab for Cutie, Mumford and Sons, The Postal Service, Wakey!Wakey!, Beethoven, Chopin, and Tchaikovsky. I also listen to a lot of musical theatre, my favorite being
bare: A Pop Opera.

My favorite books are: To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky), Looking for Alaska (John Green), the Harry Potter series (JK Rowling), A Home at the End of the World (Michael Cunningham), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (Mark Haddon), and a five-way-tie between all of Markus Zusak's books. I also really enjoy Ralph Waldo Emerson, Kurt Vonnegut, ee cummings, Raegan Butcher, Charles Bukowski, and Anis Mojgani.

I like a lot of television shows, including: Doctor Who, Merlin, ER, How I Met Your Mother, Supernatural, The Mentalist, Life, Law and Order: SVU, Grey's Anatomy, Six Feet Under, Parenthood, and Project Runway.

I don't watch many movies, but my favorites are: Adam, Milk, Imaginary Heroes, Ink, A Home at the End of the World, Evil Dead, Python, In the Blood, and Quest for Camelot.

I think that fish are the most beautiful and fascinating creatures in existence.
What is/are your favorite animal(s), movie(s), or artist(s)?

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy your honesty, and your fascination with the word fascination (as you've used it a lot).

    My favorite animal is a duck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind it when people call me weird because I know that everyone is different! (: I grew up with 6 brother's and one sister. My sister wasn't in my life as I grew up so I grew up as being a tom boy!

    I love dogs, even though I am terrified of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like the show How I Met Your Mother. When I'm bored I always watch it. Jason Segel is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite animal is the vampire squid, because of its ability to turn itself inside out. Like Dumbo, it swims through the water with its ears acting as flippers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite animal is the dog. I understand the conventionality of that. I also really love puffer fish and discus fish. Flying squirrels are also really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Perks of Being a Wallflower--such a good book! And I'm watching SVU right now.

    My favorite animal is probably the red panda--I really like how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite animal would probably be the snow leopard. Honestly the coolest creature to roam the earth. Much props to Law & Order SVU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my favorite animal is a cheetah and i love law and order svu

    ReplyDelete
  9. TATY SAID: I love the fact that you call yourself weird. I used to cry when my mom told me I was going to grow up to be weird, now I completely embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like garden spiders - big, black, and yellow. They appear in late summer and weave lovely webs throughout my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you might not want to read this but i love to fish.. dogs are my favorite animals and i enjoy rap music and house and some dub step music

    ReplyDelete