Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Introducing Stephen

I am Stephen, and I am in the FYSEM Telling the Story Queer. I chose it because I wanted to experience unconventional pieces of literature and often ignored voices.

I read a lot as a kid, but in retrospect I wish I had read even more. I write some - mostly poetry.

I was raised in a conservative christian family, but I've since swung way to the opposite direction. I'm a very left wing atheist now. Some days I'm a ray of sunshine, other days I feel like the crazy girl in all black from The Breakfast Club.

Musically, I'm pretty eclectic depending on my mood, but my favorites are Patti Smith, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, and MGMT. My favorite movies are The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Psycho, The Silence of the Lambs, and Doubt. My favorite books are The Picture of Dorian Gray, Beloved, Cat's Cradle, and The Bell Jar.



11 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that you referenced The Breakfast Club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Stephen,
    Since you did not post a question I am going to assume you want to ask everyone "What is your favorite color" I don't know what my favorite color is and how dare you ask me. Communist...


    But The Cabinet is a great film. German Expressionism!!! And Sylvia Plath is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read any of those books. I like Silence of the Lambs as well. "I heard what my cellmate whispered to you... I for one, cannot." That's my favorite part if you get my vague reference. Stay awesome.

    -sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love The Breakfast Club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Breakfast Club is amazing. Judd Nelson: "Think I'm tryin' out for a scholarship." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VIG3SdCiSA. I honestly love the 80s. I was going to admit this during my intro, but I mine as well do it here. If you like Breakfast Club I'd suggest St. Elmo's Fire. Rob Lowe is the man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a fan of Jefferson Airplane, Silence of the Lambs, and Cat's Cradle! You should read more Vonnegut, I think you'd like him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anyone of those books also, but my favorite color is Yellow, even though I don't have much yellow in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to listen to MGMT in high school. Great choice of music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TATY SAID: I was also raised in a conservative Christian family. I also have somewhat swung the other way as well. I love The Breakfast Club! It always made me want to run around my high school acting like a fool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore Ally Sheedy, even if she was in Short Circuit. High Art is devastatingly good in my opinion.

    My favorite films at the moment: Pan's Labyrinth and Serenity. Hmm, I would say that I dislike horror films, and yet both of these have horror elements - go figure.

    ReplyDelete